Meet the extremist preacher, Dr Nabil al-Awadi:
One of the Islamic State terror group’s key financier was director of a Muslim faith school in Birmingham, it emerged today.
Prominent Islamic cleric Dr Nabil al-Awadi, a naturalised Kuwaiti, was partly resident in the UK until last year, living in Brixton, south London.
Until February 2013, the Sunni was a director of the independent Al-Birr school in Nechells, Birmingham, which was founded in seven years ago.
Dr Nabil al-Awadi, a naturalised Kuwaiti, was a director of the independent Al-Birr school in Nechells, Birmingham. He is believed to have close links to the Islamic State group
Now he is president of the Kuwait Scholars’ Union, which has reportedly channelled tens of millions of dollars to the Islamic State and other jihadi groups in Iraq and Syra.
Earlier this month Dr al-Awadi was stripped of his Kuwaiti citizenship along with nine other Kuwaitis, after the state cited ‘security reasons’.
Here is Daud Abdullah’s pro-Hamas/Muslim Brotherhood Middle East Monitor on that development.
The report continues:
“The £1,500-a-year mixed school he was a director of has also been accused of having close links to the radical Al-Muntada Trust, the Sunday Telegraph reported.
The London-based trust has attracted controversy in the past for giving a platform to radical clerics.
It also attracted scrutiny when it was alleged some of its funds have ended up in the hands of Boko Haram, the militant Islamist group in Nigeria.
The trust said it has never had any connection with Boko Haram and that it condemns terrorism in all its forms.
In July 2012, it ran a conference with al-Awadi and another jihadi cleric, Muhammad al-Arifi, who has now been banned from Britain.
Al-Arifi allegedly groomed Nasser Muthana and Reyaad Khan, two young Cardiff men who became the first Britons to appear in an IS propaganda video.”
If you’ve read Harry’s Place, you will know all about Al Muntada and its links to hate preachers. To recap.
- Ali al Timimi, a virulently antisemitic American preacher who was convicted of recruiting fighters for the Taliban in the United States after the September 11 attacks and sentenced to life in prison in 2005.
- Murtaza Khan, a British preacher who bitterly hates Jews, homosexuals, women, and social liberalism. He has told British Muslims it is highly desirable in Islam to die in jihad and regrets that more Muslims do not do so.
- Assim al-Hakeem, an extremist recently banned fromSheffield Hallam university, who recommends female genital mutilation.
- Abu Zubair, AKA Saleem Beg, one of the founders of Islamic Awakening. It is a British internet forum where vicious extremism and jihad are regularly promoted. Last year Zubair issued thinly veiled death threats to an imam who accepts and teaches evolution.
- Zakir Naik, an Indian hate preacher who has expressed support for Osama bin Laden, supports the death penalty for apostates from Islam, and says Jews control America and are the “staunchest enemy” of Muslims as a group. He has been banned from the UK.
- Abu Abdissalam, a hate preacher who thinks police and security officers are waging a war on Islam, that jihadist-recruiter Ali al-Timimi was not an extremist, that Shias deserve their heads chopped off, and that Jews will hate Muslims until their devil-king Antichrist messiah arrives.
- Khalid Yasin, an American preacher who teaches hatred of non-Muslims, calls for the death penalty for homosexuals, denies that Muslims carried out the September 11 attacks, and has been accused of serious fraud.
- Bilal Philips, a Canadian preacher who promotes extreme views on social issues, such as denying that there is any such thing as marital rape and supporting the death penalty for homosexuals and apostates from Islam. He has also advanced arguments for suicide bombing. He was named as an “unindicted co-conspirator” in the New York bombing cases of the early 1990s – he was a close associate of one of the key suspects – and has been banned from the US, the UK and Australia.
and of course, Nabil al-Awadhi.
The Al-Muntada centre was also a formal backer of the “Stop Police Terror” campaign, which encouraged Muslims to defy police anti-terrorism operations over the first half of the last decade. The campaign also toured Al-Qaeda preacher and recruiter Anwar Al-Awlaki around the UK when he was living in the country in 2003-04. At the time Awlaki urged Muslims not to inform the police about suspected terrorist activity. In a sermon at the East London Mosque in 2003, he said:
“A Muslim is a brother of a Muslim, he does not oppress him and he does not hand him over. You don’t hand over a Muslim to the enemies of Allah.”
We would like to clarify that Dr Nabil al-Awadi has never had and presently has no link, association, dealings or governance with Al-Birr Primary School. Dr Nabil al-Awadi has NEVER been a director of Al- Birr Primary school. He has never visited the school and has never had any communication with the school.
We believe such irresponsible and sensationalist journalism by Leon Watson, will no doubt lead to incitement to hatred and other forms of adverse reactions from the community.
All future correspondence will come from Adam Bonds LLP, who are the legal representatives of Al-Birr Primary school in this matter.
Al-Birr Primary school is not named in the report, and it is clear that al-Awadi has not been a director of the school. However, what looks very much like the senior school does have al-Awadi as a director. Other common links are the involvements of Dr Saeed Ata Alghadie and Mr Jamie Charles Kempson.
Mr Jamie Charles Kempson is, I believe, the real name of Wasim Kempson who is “the deputy head teacher of Al Muntada Al Islami primary school and the Imam of the [Al Muntada] Mosque.”
Saeed Al Ghadie is the General Director of Al Muntada Al Islami Trust-London UK.
I would say that the link with Al Muntada, with ISIS’s banker, and with at least the senior school is therefore made out.
Now, here comes the links to senior Labour MPs.
Here is Labour’s Shadow Justice Minister, Andy Slaughter, speaking to Al-Muntada, at their 25th Anniversary Gala Dinner, which was held on the 7th June 2011:
In addition to this gushing speech, Slaughter has further praised Al-Muntada as “renowned for the charity work they do worldwide“, and “one of the most successful Islamic charities in the country“.
Here is Slaughter and Jack Dromey MP at another Al Muntada event:
With @Andy Slaughter at inspiring reception celebrating Al Muntada Trust Little Hearts initiative to help babies live in developing world
— JackDromeyMP (@JackDromeyMP) April 26, 2012
And here is Andy Slaughter hosting Al Muntada in the House of Commons in December 2013:
Let’s not forget Stephen “Stab Me!” Timms:
We’ve always said that Andy Slaughter’s association with Al Muntada was a ticking time bomb. It looks as if it has just blown up.
Andy Slaughter is Labour’s Shadow Justice Minister.